Thursday, November 19, 2009

New Feature: Odds & Ends

Every once in a while I come across a couple of stories that I think are pretty interesting but there really isn't too much more I could write about the subject that isn't already there. I decided that when I get a couple of those compiled I would make a single post about them. More likely than not the news will not be hot off the press, but I still think it's worthy enough to share.

For now I'm just going to call it "Odds & Ends" if I can think of a better name I'll change it.

I have two stories that appealed to me for various reasons recently; so here goes.

---- Story I ----

Quite the Amazing Gesture

It's no secret that I am a fan of all things wristwatch, it is among other things a great passion of mine. Over the past couple of years for various reasons, I have had a growing love for the continent of Africa as well, it's an absolutely stunning place in every sense of the word and I find myself yearning to go back when possible. Bearing that in mind, I was pretty happy to see a small story in the news regarding a wristwatch and the country of Ghana.

First Lady Michelle Obama with First Lady Ernestina Mills of Ghana

During President & Mrs. Obama's September visit to Africa the First Lady of Ghana, Mrs. Ernestina Mills, presented First Lady Michelle Obama with a stunning Backes & Strauss automatic timepiece. The 18kt rose gold watch contains 2.35 carats of diamonds with its dial adorned with the flag of the Republic of Ghana. Contained within the graphic of the flag is the display for a moonphase complication. The watch was presented to her on behalf of Ghana by Backes & Struass, and the African Watch Trading Co Ltd. This is certainly no slouch of a watch but its extravagance comes second to the understanding that diamonds and gold are two of Ghana's greatest resources.


It wasn't so long ago that the watch world was a buzz about President Obama's Jorg Gray 6500 Series Chronograph. It's nice to see that now Mrs. Obama can join the party with a beautiful piece of the watchmaking craft for herself.

---- Story II ----

Joe Girardi Signature NOA Watch

I'm sure this will make some people grumble just a little bit but I am a huge New York Yankees fan, and have been all of my life. Needless to say I was very happy to see the Yankees take home their 27th championship earlier this month. It was right before that final win in the World Series that I stumbled across a special edition watch developed by NOA Watches ["None Of the Above"] in conjunction with Joe Girardi, the New York Yankees manager.

Yankees manager Joe Girardi wearing a NOA piece during a press conference

The watch is a special edition, limited to 100 pieces and is currently [unless it's sold out already] for sale at Manfredi Jewels in Greenwich, CT. Known for their 3-D style dial work this NOA piece is no different. The dial contains their familiar raised indices along with a Yankees logo, an impression of Joe Girardi's signature, and each watches number in the run of 100. I bet you can't guess who got "No. 027". All this, of course, colored in navy blue. Inside of the 42mm case is a 3 hand + date automatic movement, sandwiched in between sapphire crystals on both front & back. Keeping the watch secured to 99 other happy owners wrists is a navy blue rubber strap.


The retail price for the watch is $2,400, but expect to pay more if they are sold out and wind up for sale elsewhere. Proceeds of the original sales have gone to help "Catch 25", Joe Girardi's foundation which provides support to families and individuals across the country who are challenged by ALS, Alzheimer’s, cancer and fertility issues.

Trust me, if my wife wouldn't kill me on the spot, I would already have one. This is a must have for any Yankees fan that knows their watches...and can afford it.

----

So there it is..."Odds & Ends", hope you enjoyed it. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment